The Trustees are:
Mrs Camilla Woodward
Mrs Ella Mills
Miss Kate Woodward
Miss Olivia Woodward
Mr Shaun Woodward
Mr Tom Hunniwood (formerly Thomas Woodward)
The Woodward Charitable Trust is a grant-making trust. The Trust primarily funds charitable organisations in the UK. If Woodward funds overseas projects it is usually via UK charities which can ensure that funds are being well used. Woodward favours charities which make good use of volunteers and encourage past and current users to participate. Our grant-making continues to be primarily reactive but with some selected projects initiated by the trustees.
The Trust’s grant-making focuses on the following areas:
- Arts outreach work by local groups involving disadvantaged people;
- Children and young people who are isolated, at risk of exclusion or involved in anti-social behaviour and in particular organisations that work to discourage individuals getting involved in gangs or violent behaviour;
- Disability projects, which can include rehabilitation and training for people who are either physically or learning disabled as well as charities supporting mental health issues, particularly where it relates to our other priority areas;
- Disadvantaged women and their children, covering refuges and domestic violence shelters and groups;
- Disadvantaged families including parenting support;
- Prisoners and ex-offenders and specifically projects that help the rehabilitation and resettlement of prisoners and/or ex-offenders as well as requests to help prisoners’ families;
- Projects that promote integration and community cohesion particularly amongst minority groups, refugees and traveller communities.
As the Trust’s resources are modest, the trustees prefer to fund small to medium-sized charities with an income of less than £300,000 where small grants can have more impact. We fund core costs only. The Trust receives many more applications than it has funds to support. Prospective applicants should be aware that less than 15% of the applications received are successful.
The Woodward Charitable Trust is one of the Sainsbury Family Charitable Trusts. The Trusts share a common administration, but are otherwise independent of each other.
The other Sainsbury Family Charitable Trusts, which are administered from the registered office, are:
The Alan & Babette Sainsbury Charitable Fund
The Ashden Trust
The Gatsby Charitable Foundation
The Glass-House Trust
The Headley Trust
The Indigo Trust
The Jerusalem Trust
The JJ Charitable Trust
The Kay Kendall Leukaemia Fund
The Linbury Trust
The Mark Leonard Trust
The Monument Trust
The Staples Trust
The Tedworth Charitable Trust
The Three Guineas Trust
The True Colours Trust
The Charity Registration number is 299963.
The Woodward Charitable Trust is registered as a data controller with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
Each trust is an independent legal entity with its own separate and autonomous board of trustees, actively led by an individual member of the Sainsbury family, and is registered as a data controller with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office .